Friday, January 20, 2006

Throwback Friday #3.

Oh shit, are those the feds looking over your shoulder? Ha! Made you look!

Damn it. I don't have much time to post right now, since I have to catch a bus back home and want to bring this in today as promised. Consider yourselves lucky this time around!

On this edition of Throwback Friday, we'll be taking a look at a throwback that isn't a funk or soul track, and a neo-soul cut that can actually make the heads nod. Props to my man Syl for digging this single up. I don't remember much about this band since I didn't grow up in the 60's, but I do know that they played at the original Woodstock Festival. John Sebastian ended up moving to the hills of Woodstock too, oddly enough, and started his family there. I probably met his son somewhere along the way but forgot to put a face to the name.

Lovin' Spoonful - "Didn't Want To Have To Do It" (mp3 link)

A great homage to this track's lovely guitar work is found sampled in a new track by J. Rawls off his latest and probably best official solo work to date, The Essence of Soul.

J. Rawls feat. Middle Child - "What If" (mp3 link)

Middle Child actually shows up four times on this album. Good choice, J. The album also features Wordsworth, Eric Roberson, Jonell, and Aloe Blacc, who in my opinion steals the entire album with his one contribution, the closer "Bailar", which I may have to put on here somewhere along the way. Do yourself a favor and pick up The Essence of Soul if you're in the mood to put your loved one in that perfect Valentine's Day mood (don't run away, it is coming up after all).

I'm out!

Cheers,
~*E*~





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?